A NEW PROGRAM FOR DEMENTIA CARE MANAGEMENT FOCUSED ON FAMILY CAREGIVERS
Built on more than a decade of experience working directly with family caregivers, Seniorlink’s VOICE for Dementia Care is a technology-enabled care management program that connects care teams from health plans and providers with professional coaches who provide support and advice for caregivers, guided by tailored protocols and facilitated through by a collaboration platform, Vela.
By leveraging established behavioral science and proven caregiver engagement techniques, VOICE for Dementia Care reduces caregiver burden, thereby improving confidence and activation in caregivers. The program is proven to reduce the rate of hospitalizations and ER visits for persons diagnosed with dementia.
THE HUMAN TOUCH OF PROFESSIONAL COACHES
Seniorlink connects family caregivers with a professional coach, who offers guidance and support using clinical protocols through Vela. The professional coaches from Seniorlink partner with existing care teams at health plans and providers.
Coaches follow a person-centered curriculum, leveraging best-practice protocols so that:
- Caregivers receive individualized coaching and support designed to meet immediate and long term needs
- Caregivers are more confident in their ability to take care of family members and better utilize available healthcare resources
- Persons diagnosed with dementia have improved clinical outcomes
THE COLLABORATIVE TECHNOLOGY OF VELA
Vela is a HIPAA-secure care collaboration platform that connects family caregivers, Seniorlink’s coaches, and care teams at health plans and providersin one convenient place.
- A coach’s and care teams’ dependency on phone calls and voicemails is replaced with modern messaging capability
- Rates of reach for coaches increase from 20% to 90%
- Caregivers in the home are activated and increasingly engaged with their coaches and care teams at their convenience, on their schedule.
PILOT RESULTS OF VOICE FOR DEMENTIA CARE
The pilot demonstrated that a remote coach using a collaboration platform with caregivers of persons diagnosed with dementia can meaningfully impact outcomes valued by both caregivers and payer/provider partners.
As part of the VOICE for Dementia Care program, caregivers first complete assessments that measure their level of activation and burden. As the caregivers engage in the program, the VOICE for Dementia Care coach provides content that focuses on specific areas identified by the assessments, in order to enhance activation, reduce burden and avoid unnecessary events, such as hospitalizations and emergency room visits.
The following results compare the six months prior to the program intervention and the six months of active coaching in the program.
Hospital admissions decreased 18%
Emergency room visits decreased 51%